I first heard the term a couple of years ago on Twitter.
I asked what it meant. It still didn’t make ANY sense to me.
The term, that is.
Having a list of things you want to do before you die makes total sense. I’ve had one since I was little. I just simply called it “Things I Want To Do Before I Die”
Then, last month my daughter came home with a movie. Guess which one. I didn’t even know there was a movie called The Bucket List. And with Morgan Freeman AND Jack Nicholson at that.
Man, I’m getting old. For a self-professed Movie Junkie, this is unacceptable.
Needless to say we watched the movie and I loved it.
Now, a month later, I occurred to me… I’ve had my own bucket list in my head for about 40 years and have even mentioned some of the items in some of my posts.
Why not write it down?
So, here we go:
Go to Med School
- Win a Nobel Prize in science (for discovering something that would save millions of lives)
Move to Canada
- Become an astronaut
- Go to Norway to see the fjords
- Experience the midnight sun
Go to Teotihuacán
- Travel across Europe
Go scuba diving
- Go sky diving
Learn how to ski(Downhill. I didn’t even know cross-country ski existed till I moved to Canada)
- Go skiing in the Alps
Visit the Smithsonian
- Visit New York City
- Visit New Orleans
Visit San Francisco
- Take a train trip across Canada.
From coast to*coast (*half done. Did Vancouver to Windsor, Fall 2016)
- See the Northern Lights with my own eyes
- See polar bears in their habitats (zoos don’t count)
Learn to Swing Dance
- Go to a party dressed in a true Victorian outfit (not necessarily FROM that period but an exact reproduction)
- Ditto but with an Edwardian outfit
- Ditto but with a Medieval outfit
- Build and run a Cat Sanctuary (OK, this one may be just wishful thinking. I don’t think I’ll ever have the money for this)
That’s off the top of my head. If I remember something that got left out, I’ll add it. I might also add items as I go
Now, to be fair, there are some items that used to be in my childhood’s bucket list but I have taken them out. Mostly for health reasons. Here are some of them:
- Visit the Giza Necropolis. If you invent an affordable personal cooling system, let me know
- Visit Tibet. I still might. If China de-occupies it
Also, as you can see, I’ve already done some of the things and thus they are crossed.
What do you have in your bucket list?