Update on kitty’s dental surgery

Jay’s dental surgery went well. Very well, actually.

Of course there were tears in the morning as the technician was taken my darling Jay away in his carrier.

But it all went well, in less than the estimated time (20 min instead of 30) which also brought the final cost of the procedure down. In the end it was $200 and a bit less that the initial estimate. Yay!

Kitty is doing quite well. He’s eating just fine. There’s no bleeding and no coughing or vomiting, both of which can sometimes happen after general anaesthesia. I have to give him pain medication for three days and antibiotics for seven days and he’s taking them without fuss.

There’s only the matter of some swelling of his right paw, where they had the I.V. line but it should be gone by tomorrow. He seems to be walking well. No limping at all.

There was a handwritten note with the paper work. I says:

Jay’s dental cleaning and extraction went very well today. He was a lovely patient and we all wish him a speedy recovery!

The technician also said to me Jay was a very sweet cat and they were very impressed how well behaved he was. My brave Jay!

Thank you for your encouraging comments and tweets! They really made a difference.

20120801-012001.jpg

Waiting for the cab so we could go home

Lovely bloggers, I need your input!!!

Here’s the thing: My darling Jay needs dental surgery

My poor Jay

Now, I have two options:

  1. Tooth extraction
  2. Root canal treatment

And this is where I need your input. Does any one of you have any experience with either or preferably both? Is one procedure preferable over the other?

I’d like to preserve the fang. I mean, my dentist has always told me that is is ALWAYS better to try and keep the tooth, whenever possible. I don’t see why it’d be any different for a cat.

However, this is my dilemma. The cost of a tooth extraction is roughly $1,200 while the root canal is $1,500. $300 is a lot of money. Jay’s vet says it really doesn’t matter for the cat and the decision is completely up to me.

But I want to make sure I do the best for my cat and not the best for my wallet.

If indeed my Jay will not mind having one less fang (and by that I mean, if HE’LL BE COMPLETELY HAPPY without it) then I wouldn’t mind saving $300.

But if he’ll be better off keeping his fang, I will get him that option no matter what.

Thoughts? Please?

Edited to add a pic of the estimate